Pumpkin Curry Pasta
About this Recipe
By: Caitlin Greene
In my opinion, curry is one of those cozy comfort meals. Whether it’s curried rice, chicken curry, curried lamb meatballs (my favorite), curried soup…the spices are so warming and full of depth. Curry is so beneficial for digestion as well. I love the aroma that fills my house when I’m cooking with curry spices. It makes me want to curl up in front of a fireplace. I made this pumpkin curry pasta one day because I had some leftover pumpkin to use up. I typically use coconut milk in a lot of my curries, but I decided to make this a bit lighter and use Greek yogurt. It came together pretty quickly, with only a few steps.
I wanted to keep this vegan, so I used dairy-free Greek yogurt and coconut oil. However, you can use dairy yogurt and butter if you prefer. I also added some nutritional yeast to this recipe, which went well with the pasta and gave it a “cheesy” like flavor. Feel free to omit, but it does add to the recipe. I also used a bit of cashew butter in this sauce, which I chose for more of a neutral flavor, but you could try subbing with another nut butter (I would recommend Tahini or almond, but feel free to play around). The cashew butter helps to thicken the sauce without adding any more starch.
You don’t have to be vegan to enjoy this recipe! And you could add some protein if you’d like. The sauce works well as a dip for sweet potato fries and raw veggies too. To keep it vegan use a flavorful veggie broth. If you aren’t worried about it being vegan, then feel free to sub with another broth such as chicken or bone broth. I do recommend using a high-speed blender to blend the ingredients, but an immersion blender would work if you don’t have one. Blending the sauce melds the flavors together and makes for a super creamy consistency. When it comes to pasta, I love a creamy sauce. I served this over some chickpea pasta tossed with some greens, which added some plant protein. However, any pasta would work!
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil (or butter/ghee)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup pumpkin
- 1/2 cup Greek Style yogurt (regular or dairy free)
- 1 cup broth
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 garlic
- 1/4 onion
- 1/4 pepper
- 2 teaspoons coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon cashew butter
- Heat 2 tablespoons coconut oil over medium high heat in a small sauté pan.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté for about 3 minutes, until onion is soft.
- Add pumpkin purée, yogurt, broth, nutritional yeast, curry, salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, coconut aminos and cashew butter.
- Heat for about 3 minutes on medium, stirring consistently.
- Pour all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour over pasta with some fresh arugula and some hemp seeds and/or dairy free Parmesan.
- Serve & Enjoy!