What’s your favorite comfort food? For me, it is potatoes! I have the most ridiculously delicious recipe to switch up your potato game. These crisp, smashed potatoes are a cross between a French fry and the most delicious potato chip you’ve ever had. The crunch is so satisfying, and the flavor of this dip is one of a kind–yes, it is honey-mustard combined with feta cheese! I mean, can you get any better? FYI: You can easily make this recipe dairy-free or vegan, and it is naturally gluten-free.
There are quite a few ways to get a crispy potato, and I have shared lots I the past. In fact, if you’ve been following me on Instagram since the beginning, you will likely remember my infamous “fry-days”–I don’t think I missed a “fry-day” Friday post for basically a straight year. I often will soak my potatoes in ice water for French fries, which helps to remove some of the sugar and create a crisp exterior. Other times, I will add some cornstarch or arrowroot starch, which again creates a crisp exterior when air fried or roasted. I even will par boil them before roasting, if I am making roasted potato chunks or if I am in a time pinch. Let’s face it, who wants a soggy roasted potato–there is a time and a place for that!
For these Crispy Smashed Potatoes with Honey-Mustard Feta Dip, we use a very distinct method. We boil them, oil them, smash them and roast them! Yup–it is seriously that simple. The key is boiling them just long enough to pierce them with a fork, which takes about 18-22 minutes. Next, we discard the excess water, add a combination of oil and butter along with the spices and toss them to combine. Last step before we roast: smash them! I like to use a flat-bottomed glass to do this, but any flat surface will work. The key is to twist as you remove the cup so it doesn’t stick to the inside of the potato. Once the potatoes are in the oven, we quickly add the ingredients for the dip to a small bowl and mix to combine. We leave the feta cheese crumbled, not puréed, which gets a little bite of feta spread throughout the dip. Be sure to flip the potatoes about halfway through and that’s it! Serve with some chopped cilantro if you wish and enjoy!
Why you will love these Crispy Smashed Potatoes with Honey-Mustard Feta Dip:
- The texture is crisp on the outside and soft on the inside, and this creates the perfect bite.
- They are naturally gluten-free and have easy vegan-friendly substitutions.
- They are easy and fun to make!
For the potatoes:
- 1 lb baby gold potatoes
- 1 tbsp plus ½ tsp salt, divided
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter (can sub ghee, coconut oil or more olive oil)
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped scallions
- 1tbso chopped fresh cilantro, optional for topping
For the dip:
- ⅓ cup Greek style yogurt (dairy-free for vegan)
- 1 ½ tbls mayonnaise (or sub yogurt or sour cream)
- 1 ½ tbls dijon mustard
- 1 tbls honey (agave for vegan)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese (dairy-free for vegan)
- Preheat the oven to 450. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add 1 tbsp of the salt and the potatoes. Cook the potatoes for about 18-22 minutes, until you can easily pierce them with a fork.
- Once the potatoes are tender, drain the water, then add the olive oil and butter directly to the pot of warm potatoes. Toss them until butter is melted.
Add the remainder of the salt, garlic powder, oregano and pepper. Toss the potatoes once more.
- Add the remainder of the salt, garlic powder, oregano and pepper. Toss the potatoes once more.
- Add the potatoes to the baking sheet, then use the bottom of a flat-bottomed cup to “smash” the potatoes until they are about ¼ inch thick. Carefully twist as you remove the cup. Repeat with the remainder of the potatoes.
- Drizzle the extra oil and spice mixture over the potatoes, add the chopped scallions and bake for 25-35 minutes, flipping halfway. The potatoes should be crisp on both sides.
- While the potatoes are roasting, make the dip. To a small bowl add the yogurt, mayonnaise, mustard, honey, salt, pepper, garlic powder, lemon juice and feta. Mix to combine. Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Top the potatoes with chopped cilantro, if using. Serve the potatoes and dip together.
*If you have a convection option on your oven, I recommend using it for even baking and crisp.