I have a new easy recipe for you today: Southwest Shrimp Salad with Chipotle Yogurt Dressing. Chopped salads are always a life saverfor me when it comes to lunchtime. I work from home, and of course I am always in the kitchen, but it does not mean I have a lot of time to make myself food. This is where chopped salads come in! They can be made ahead of time for meal prep or on the spot. I love keeping the dressing separate so the salad stays as fresh as possible when it comes time to eat. Also, I just prefer when everything is chopped in uniform pieces—it just tastes better in my opinion!
I made this recipe as a single serving size, because it is one of those weekday meals for me that I end up making for myself for lunch. Feel free to double, triple or quadruple the recipe to make a larger batch. If you prefer a different protein, feel free to swap the shrimp for chicken, tofu, salmon, steak or any other protein of your choice. Additionally, I use feta cheese and Greek yogurt in this recipe; both of which can be swapped out for dairy-free versions. Essentially, the recipe is very customizable, which I always prefer. For the dressing, I use adobe sauce from a can of chipotle in adobo, but you can sub with chipotle hot sauce or a teaspoon of chipotle chili powder.
Ok, so what makes this meal so special?
- Taste: The flavors of this dish have a Tex-Mex flair, which is one of my personal favorites. The dressing is spiced with Chipotle and tamed with honey, and it is made with Greek yogurt and protein-packed.
- Texture: The salad is filled with creamy avocado, crunchy fresh bell peppers and cucumbers, tender and juicy shrimp, crisp Romaine and lots more. We top it off with a creamy yet light dressing that just elevates it.
- Ease: This salad comes together in just ten minutes if you have the shrimp all ready cooked. Alternatively, you could even purchase pre-cooked shrimp.
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cucumber
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup canned corn, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup diced avocado
- 2 tablespoons feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons pickled red onions
- 1 tablespoon sliced and chopped fresh jalapeños
- 1 hardboiled egg, grated
- 1/4 pound cooked shrimp (I used my cumin-lime shrimp)
- Optional: 1 tablespoon cilantro
- 1/4 cup unsweetened plain Greek Yogurt
- 1-2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon adobe sauce (or chipotle hot sauce)
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 2 teaspoons honey (or more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Make the dressing. Add the Greek yogurt, almond milk, adobe sauce, lime juice, honey, garlic powder and salt to a small bowl and whisk to combine. *For thinner dressing add more almond milk, a splash at a time. Set aside.
- Assemble the salad. Add the Romaine lettuce to a bowl, then add the cucumber, red bell pepper, black beans, corn, avocado, feta cheese, red onions, fresh jalapeños, hardboiled egg,
shrimp and cilantro, if using.