Chilaquiles with Eggs
About this Recipe
By: Caitlin Greene
You could easily use another protein here, such as chicken, beef or even fish. I find throwing a couple fried eggs on top is the easiest when I want a quick meal, but if you have leftovers of any of the above then throw it in! You can also choose to bake the eggs right into the tortillas, which saves time and one more dish! This dish is like an upgraded nacho dish, and let’s face it the options are endless.
I also like to add some fresh ingredients to the top of my skillets, so I usually add some dairy free cheese, tomatoes, veggies, avocado or whatever I have in my fridge. Throwing some chopped cilantro and scallions on top always hits the spot too. You can eat this with a fork, mix it up to combine the flavors...or if you’re like me then just grab one of those flavorful chips with your fingers...might be a little messy but I know I don’t mind! If you haven’t given Chilaquiles a try I do highly recommend.
- 1-2 cups of tortilla chips or tortillas sliced up
- 1/2-3/4 cup salsa or tomato sauce
- Optional: cheese
- Optional toppings: fried eggs, avocado, tomatoes, black beans, scallions, cilantro, dairy free cheese.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- *If you are using tortillas then brush them with oil, sprinkle some salt and bake them by laying them out onto an oiled cookie sheet for about 7 minutes until crisp.
- Layer the bottom of cast iron skillet with tortilla chips, and pour some tomato sauce (Or salsa) over the chips (I used a brush to cover all the chips)
- Layer with more chips and more sauce. Add cheese if you would like as well.
*If you want to bake the eggs then add them on top of the chips before placing in the oven.
- Bake for about 7-10 minutes (or until done to your liking) on 400.
- Take out, top with greens, avocado, tomato, black beans, fried eggs and regular or dairy free cream cheese and garnish with scallions and cilantro.