Italian Turkey Ricotta Meatballs and Pesto Caprese Zoodles (dairy-free option)
About this Recipe
By: Caitlin Greene
Meatballs are one of my favorite recipes to make. I love being able to add them to salads, pasta or a grain bowl and have a filling meal. It is also a comforting dish to make. I like to use a variety of herbs to bring out the flavors.
To make these Italian Turkey Meatballs, you will need:
-ricotta (dairy-free or regular)
-fresh basil, oregano
-salt & pepper
-mini mozzarella balls
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (squeeze liquid out-will end up being about 1/2 cup after drained of liquid)
- 1/2 cup ricotta (dairy free or regular)
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- olive oil
- 2 cups Zoodles
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/3 cup mini mozzarella balls
- fresh basil
- 1/4 cup hemp seed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 heaping cups fresh basil
- 1 small clove garlic
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Make the meatballs. Mix together the ground turkey, 1 cup shredded zucchini, ricotta, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Roll into 1 inch balls (about 13-14) and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 16-18 minutes. Brush the tops with olive oil and broil for 1 minute to get a crispy top.
- To make the salad, toss together the 2 cups of zoodles, 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes, 1/3 cup of mini mozzarella balls, fresh basil, and pesto. I used my simple hemp seed pesto recipe but any basil pesto will do!
- To make my Basil Pesto, add 1/4 cup hemp seed, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 heaping cups fresh basil, and 1 small clove garlic to a food processor and process until smooth.
- To make the potatoes (optional), toss some potatoes in olive oil and seasoned with salt, pepper, dried basil, dried oregano, dried thyme, garlic and onion powder. Air fry on 400 for 15-20 minutes until crispy.